[KS] Korean in North Korea

J.Scott Burgeson jsburgeson at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 24 21:17:33 EST 2013

That line was meant to be a joke, referring to how "pure" or "traditional" Korean can be seen as old-fashioned or out-of-date by many South Koreans these days, who have been acculturated and well-assimilated into the Empire and thus have very different tastes than their Northern cousins. In any case, I'm not sure about the origin of "입종이" except to say that it was in common use by residents of Pyongyang with whom I frequently interacted. Moreover, in my experience Choson-jok tend to consume South Korean media sources and are generally more oriented to the South, and if memory serves, "napkin" was well-understood at Choson-jok restaurants in the Chinese Northeast.