[KS] "The Origins of the Korean Alphabet"

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Fri Sep 6 12:49:21 EDT 2013

Hello All:

A couple of things to check to get to the bottom of this:

1. We know for sure that …
(a) The earlier "identified" 정기원 (鄭基元) wrote his name in English
as either "Kei Won Chung" (see New York Times link below), or as
"Kei-won Chung," exactly as in this thesis--*and* also the same in his
1940 Brill publication _TheTa-ming shih-lu_.
New York Times article (WWII period):
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20B10FE3C58167B93C7AB178AD85F468485F9
(b) We do know that the referenced 鄭基元, the one working for
Princeton Library and also working at Princeton as an assistant
professor, as it seems, and during the war for OSS, did his PhD at
Princeton. And there is *no other* PhD listed for anyone using this
particular name: Kei-won Chung !

2. Is there any sort of documentation that the female scholar, 정계원 (
鄭啓元), ever studied in the U.S.??? (I could find nothing, in a quick
search.) I see her at the 경성여자사범학교 (that seems the full name)
in 1934 to 1939 ! The Princeton U thesis is from 1938. Seems very
unlikely to be by here then (look at the dates):
http://db.history.go.kr/url.jsp?ID=jw_1937_1126_0330  (1937)
http://db.history.go.kr/url.jsp?ID=jw_1938_1139_0150  (1938)
http://db.history.go.kr/url.jsp?ID=jw_1939_1394_0470  (1939)
If that would be her dissertation, then one then wonders where the
thesis of the before mentioned 鄭基元 is. Since he even taught at
Princeton, most obviously that thesis should easily be identified.

Best,
Frank