[KS] RAS Korea activities in October

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Sep 27 04:45:28 EDT 2013

Members of this List residing in Korea might like to participate on some of the following Royal Asiatic Society activities. All are welcome.
Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea

The most important event in October will be the annual Autumn Book Fair. As before, we are offering huge discounts on the books published by RAS and generous discounts on (most) of the other books we have in stock. Just click here http://www.raskb.com/content/2013-ras-korea-book-sale  or on the linked image at the top of our home page http://www.raskb.com/  I know that last year the book sale was especially welcomed by students in Korean Studies, since it gave them a chance to acquire some very significant books at bargain prices. Since we cannot sell our books through Amazon, it is galling to see the inflated prices second-hand booksellers are asking for great books such as Sam Hawley’s “Imjin War,” or Martina Deuchler’s “Confucian Gentlemen and Barbarian Envoys,” as though they were out of print, when we have a large number of copies available.

Upcoming Lectures

October 8 Michael Kim (Yonsei U): Imagining the Dual City in Colonial Korea (1910-1945)
This lecture will offer a fascinating insight into the way parts of Seoul were tranformed during the Japanese colonial period by the construction of “modern” buildings and the introduction of “modern” activities such as shopping in department stores and drinking tea or coffee in cafés, while other parts of the city retained their traditional character and activities.

October 22 Kathryn Weathersby: The Decision to Prolong the Korean War: The Roles of Stalin, Mao and Kim Il Sung
A historian who has done much research in the Russian archives, Professor Weatherby will offer an often unfamiliar account of the role of the two Communist powers in the extended pursuit of the Korean War. The armistice negociations dragged on, and the North suffered constant bombings during those months and years. Why?

Excursions

Saturday, October 5: Gongju and its region, ancient Baekje discovered with Gongju resident, Prof. Tobias Lehmann.

Sunday, October 6: Seochon, a living neighborhood in the center of Seoul’s history explored with local resident Prof. Robert Fouser

Saturday, October 12: Visit the heritage neighborhood of Bukchon with Prof. David Mason, one of the finest guides you could hope to find!

Saturday, October 19: A tour where you can purchase fine Korean Pottery & Porcelain in the Icheon area, which will include a visit to the Ceramics Biennale, with Sue Bae.

Oct 20 Seoul city wall (1) Robert Fouser will help us discover one section of Seoul’s city walls, long neglected but now nominated for UNESCO recognition.

Oct 26 Seongbuk-dong  The northern district of Seoul is full of hidden treasures and Robert Koehler will help us discover some of them.

Oct 26-27 Boseong is famous for tea, but it is also home to quite a number of potters and some of them welcome visitors into their studios for a hands-on experience. We will go down by train in order to shorten the journey and Jennifer Flinn will introduce the fascinating world of clay and fire.

Nov 2-3 Seorak-san is one of the most beautiful spots in Korea in the autumn. Ms. Sue Bae has long led visits there at this season, she knows all the most picturesque places. Because of the crowds, space in the hotel is limited so book soon!

Nov 3 Seoul city wall (2). Robert Fouser will continue his guided visits with a walk along another section of the Seoul city wall. With the autumn light and colors it should be a wonderful experience.

Visit to the National Museum of Korea
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 starting at 7:00pm.
Silla, A Brilliant Country of Gold
Today’s visit will help learn more about the golden treasures from Silla that are housed in the Museum, discovering their hidden depths beyond the surface glitter.

Reading Group
Our reading group meets once a month to talk about a translated work of Korean fiction. Join the Facebook RAS Reading Club group to receive regular information, or email Patrick Bourgo at
 pbourgo at gmail.com