[KS] Han'gŭl typesetting in Europe? / Buddhist studies journal

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sun Sep 29 05:04:48 EDT 2013

Dear All:

Another two questions:

Does anyone here know where and when the first Han'gŭl typesetting was
done in *Europe*?
Maurice Courant's _Bibliographie coréenne_ seems to be the first in
France? And that was in the late 19th century.
In Germany Yi Kŭng-no stated that he introduced Han'gŭl in print by
importing a full typeset from Shanghai (same kind of typeset that was
used to print the _Tongnip sinmun_ there). But that was in the 1920s,
and I now see a 1919 Korean reference pointing to the time from about
1914 to 1918 (for Germany). I wonder where else *in Europe* there were
Han'gŭl typesets and when.

In the U.S., by the way, I believe (but this maybe wrong) that An
Ch'ang-ho's _Sinhan minbo_ in San Francisco was the first publication
using Han'gul in type, but that was done using a typewriter, was not a
print done by type-setting but using some other reproduction method.

My second question, related to the above one:
Anyone here knows what GERMAN academic journals where there in the
period 1914 to 1919 that would print scholarly articles about (or
translations of) ancient East Asian Buddhist texts (other than the
_Zeitschrift der Deutschen Morgenländischen Gesellschaft_)?

Thank you.
Frank