[KS] New Publication--Encountering Modernity

Albert Park albert.park78 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 00:45:15 EDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I wanted to let you know of the publication of my new
co-edited book (with David K. Yoo), Encountering Modernity: Christianity in
East Asia and Asian America (http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/p-9135-9780824839475.aspx).

This book compares the intersection of Protestant
Christianity and modernity in the context of East Asian and Asian American
history. In particular, it features a number of articles on Korea, including
translated articles on the YMCA and Severance Hospital during the colonial period by scholars in Korea, an article on neoliberalism in
contemporary Korean churches, and my own article on the relationship between
Christianity and capitalism in early modern Korea. Above all, this book seeks
to understand how Christianity was thought of and practiced in relation to
various aspects of modernity (political, economic, social and cultural).

Thanks for your attention.

Albert L. Park
Assistant Professor of History
Claremont McKenna College