[KS] two formal questions - Japanese/Korean

Robert Carrubba carrubba.robert at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 11:18:56 EDT 2014

Dear Frank,

OK, once more, on-list, re: Korean word spacing -

Please check this link for Korean spacing and other standard rules:
http://www.korean.go.kr/09_new/dic/rule/rule01.jsp

For the book title you asked about go to > 5장 뛰어쓰기 > 제4절 고유 명사 및 전문 용어

The rule in contemporary Korean is that case particles _must_ append to
the end of the NP they modify, then a space _must_ be put between that NP
and the next sentence constituent. The construction you mention is NP의 NP,
thus not putting in a space is a ‘spacing error’, in contemporary Korean
and in middle-Korean.

This information aside, in a book title, one way to sort things out is to
consider if the spacing or lack of spacing would conflict with another
grammatical element.

In the case of the genitive case particle –의, which can indicate either
possession or attribution, there is no other grammatical element that it
could be mistaken for, so while in normal prose writing not spacing the
NP의 NP is by rule incorrect, in a title it may be perceived as only a
matter of stylistics (maybe coming down to saving a space). (Although not
something I would choose to do, personally.)

For other constructions spacing can entail spelling, such as with
connectives vs attributives + dependent nouns like -는데 vs –는 데 and –ㄴ지 vs
–ㄴ 지, which use the same letters but indicate different meanings,
depending on the spacing. Omitting the space or including it changes the
meaning. (Although these, especially the former, are a common source of
native-speaker spelling errors and they are usually simply parsed over and
understood as what was meant not what was spelled, in real-world contexts.)

On your title again, wholly subjectively, when I went to university in
Korea none of my course textbook titles were written with no spacing after
pure Korean grammatical elements, rather you may see the omission of the
particle altogether in either 'sino' or 'pure', ‘漢字研究’ and '한자연구',
especially if the emphasis is on thinking of both words as a whole single
concept.

Additionally, the history of ‘사이 시옷’ and noun lexicalization (덧니, 햇빛,
etc.) makes the genitive case and word spacing slightly more murky when it
comes to ‘native-speaker intuition’, but that is another topic..(which you
can check out in an 李朝語辭典 under ㅅ).

I'm sure others will have interesting historical info and opinions about
-의, possible word spacing connotations, academic / political schools of
thought, colonialism etc.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Robert