[KS] North Korean temple photos

CedarBough T. Saeji umyang at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 21:08:57 EDT 2014

People are, with the exception of (some) Buddhists, out of touch with
Buddhist culture. I've recently been analyzing the displays at the National
Museum in this regard, and the assumptions that are made about background
knowledge are enormous compared with the actual knowledge people have in
this era with 47% (2005 census) of Koreans claiming no religion.

At this point in Korea people see a traditional bldg with traditional eaves
and dancheong paintings on it as as anonymous and interchangeable as
apartment buildings. People have no training, no understanding of how to
spot the architectural differences or the variation in dancheong. So a
photo gets mislabeled for whatever reason... and that stands. You could
probably mislabel photos of parts of the still standing major temples in
the ROK like Songgwangsa and unless it was the two pagodas or the bridges
at Bulguksa it'd take days for anyone to notice or object.

Yes, I'm feeling a little glum this morning.

cedarbough

--

CedarBough T. Saeji

Profile on Academia.edu <https://hufs.academia.edu/CedarBoughTSaeji>

Assistant Professor of Korean Studies, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies

한국외국어대학교 한국학과 조교수

(우) 449-791 경기도 용인시 처인구 모현면 외대로 81 오르비스빌딩 703호

Orbis Building #703, 81 Oedae-ro, Mohyeon-myeon, Cheoin-gu, Yongin-si,
Gyeonggi-do, Korea 449-791