[KS] French colonialism & interest in Korea

Henny Savenije webmaster at henny-savenije.pe.kr
Thu Dec 4 22:45:46 EST 2014

I might be of help if you know the name of the Dutch father.

At 08:17 AM 05.12.14 Friday, you wrote:
>Dear Br Anthony
>I have just started to research a Korean/Dutch
>lady who was taken by her Dutch  father on a
>trade mission to Vietnam and " left" as a
>concubine to the Vietnamese king. Her father
>claimed to be a Deputy Governor of Taiwan. This
>occurred during the 17th Century. My interest
>was aroused by an article in the Arts of Asia.
>Unfortunately the only name I have is Orona.
>There was no reference to her Korean name in any
>other format and as this is not my area of study
>and only the result of interest, I was wondering
>if you might have come across any reference to
>her. Any help you might be able to give would be most appreciated
>Yours sincerely Dr Ron Munro
>

>On Thursday, 4 December 2014, 14:11, Brother
>Anthony <ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr> wrote:
>

>Regarding the possible links between Hong and
>Maurice Courant, Maurice Courant only arrived
>for the first time in Seoul coming from Beijing
>on May 23, 1890 to act as secretary to Victor
>Collin de Plancy. I do not know when Hong set
>out for France but according to Regamey he had
>spent 2 years in Japan immediately prior to
>that, and his decision to make the journey to
>France was directly influenced by a former
>Japanese minister, who gave him a letter of
>introduction to Clémenceau. Did he return to
>Seoul to get his passport? Perhaps, but probably only for a short time.
>
>One thing in this direction that I find curious
>is Regamey's comment that after Hong met
>Francois George Cogordan (whom he had seen when
>he was in Seoul on June 4 1886 to sign the
>treaty of friendship and trade) he was puzzled
>never to be able to see him again, because,
>"pour des raisons de hautes convenances
>politiques, la France devait ignorer
>complètement la Corée, les Coréens et tout ce
>qui les concernait" (for reason of high
>political considerations, France had to ignore
>completely Corea, Coreans and everything about
>them). What was going on there? Perhaps Hong was
>simply too junior and insignificant, and poor?
>
>Br Anthony

                  _   _
                 (o) (o)
      oOOO----(_)----OOOo---
Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
-----------------------------
http://www.henny-savenije.pe.kr Portal to all my sites
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr
(in English) Feel free to discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/indexk2.htm In Korean
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/Dutch In Dutch
http://www.vos.henny-savenije.pe.kr Frits Vos
Article about Witsen and Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch dictionary
http://www.cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in
English) Korea through Western Cartographic eyes
http://www.hwasong.henny-savenije.pe.kr Hwasong the fortress in Suwon
http://www.oldKorea.henny-savenije.pe.kr Old Korea in pictures
http://www.british.henny-savenije.pe.kr A British encounter in Pusan (1797)
http://www.henny-savenije.com/tng/ Genealogy