[KS] the atomic bomb & German-Japanese cooperation

Yong-Ho Choe choeyh at hawaii.edu
Wed Dec 10 22:42:35 EST 2014

I was a second year student of a middle school in Taegu when Japan
surrendered. We were mobilized to work on an air base at Tongch'on (now
Taegu airport), constructing and repairing runways and air plane shelters.
It must have been in July or August 1945 (I remember the heat of
Taegu summer) when a Japanese sergeant (Gunso), who was in charge of our
labor gang, told us that Japan was developing "a new type of bomb
(shin'gata bakudan)," which, with the size of a small match box, could
destroy a huge battleship.

Yong-ho Choe (최영호)