[KS] 元曲西廂記譯解 ~ 諺解

King, Ross Ross.King at ubc.ca
Fri Dec 19 10:46:30 EST 2014

Dear Colleagues:

I have a quick question (especially for colleagues in France).

Professor William Skillend in his book _Kodae sosol: A survey of Korean traditional style popular novels_ (1967, p. 107), writes:

"Yi Ok (Li Ogg, who is now in Paris) showed his 元曲西廂記譯解 ... in an exhibition held by Yonhui University (now Yonse) University at Pusan in July 1952. ..."

Another source lists this same work as …諺解 instead of …譯解.

In any case, I am wondering if anybody knows what became of Professor Li Ogg's books, and where this book might be? This title seems unique in the (rather large) world of Chosŏn reception of the 西廂記 and does not seem to be housed in any Korean collections.

Is anybody on the list in touch with Professor Li’s family? (I appreciate that it was a long time ago, and during the war, but you never know…).

Ross King
Professor of Korean and Head of Department
Department of Asian Studies, University of British Columbia
Asian Centre, 1871 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
vox: 604-822-2835
fax: 604-822-8937