[KS] Pyongyang Univ of Science & Tech (PUST) on BBC1 TV, Mon 3 Feb, 2030 ...

Gianluca Spezza spezzagianluca at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 09:54:46 EST 2014

yes Nicholas,

actually no need to believe it. it's a fact the KPA is involved in PUST.
they built it from scratch, they run most of the facilities if not all
of them, they do the maintenance, they send some of their children there
(others go to a couple of special military institutions in PY, pretty
much as well equipped as PUST), and given that every single bit of
educational material is scrupulously checked before it reaches the
classrom, we know this is also done by part of the military.

I agree with Caroline that some of the questions in the doc were a bit
dumb (seriously, michael jackson ...of all people?) but then again that
is BBC panorama. They do have the urgency to proclaim they found some
'incredible story' behind everything, like the students going to the
'juche building' to receive classes in politics, ideology and history.
that has been happening since 1948 in NK, in every school, not much news
there. Also such practice is one of the pillars on which Dr. James Kim
built his agreement with the NK government (just as he did in China for
YUST): zero interference with politics/absolute lip service to the
ruling government, and it could not be otherwise or the school would
have never seen the light.

However, this works for non-sensitive subjects, such as computer
science, agriculture or chemistry, it is clear that students remain
behind on many important topics: economy, private finance, individual
rights, history, media, and this all makes their education less valuable
(some say useless) outside of North Korea.

The real question for me is how long can PUST continue to teach in such
a sealed-off environment and is it really worth it in terms of 'positive
change for the future of North Korea and its integration with the rest
of the world'?

We'll probably see very skilled agronomists and statisticians in NK in
the next years , who still won't know how life really goes on outside of
their country. What's the point?

Last, one question i would have liked to ask (but I know it can't be
asked, even  off the record) is: do students at PUST know about how the
university came about, who funds it and who founded it and what is the
story behind the Christian foundation that owns and runs PUST and YUST)?

I know the answer is 'no' (and this has been confirmed by all the
PUST-related people i have interviewed), because it would be very hard
to explain the that their government allowed a religious foundation,
with HQs in US and SK to run one of the top schools in the country.

Cheers

G. Spezza - NK News