[KS] "Petition; "Make U.S. high school curriculums more inclusive of Japanese War Crimes during WW II"

Kent Davy kentdavy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 20:18:34 EST 2014

Leave aside the quaint attribution of the capacity for agency to an
abstract noun.  What is it exactly that we hope to forestall from happening
in the future:  the brutalization and extermination of a particular group
of human beings or the destruction of the liberty and lives of all
individual human beings who are victimized by war, including, e.g., those
belonging to the myriad groups of e.g., tens of thousands Pacific Islanders
and tens of millions inhabitants of the central European marchlands crushed
between the Japanese and Allied forces and Nazi and Russian forces, whose
fates are only now coming to be taken seriously. Surely the latter is a
(non-partisan) objective about which everyone of good will ought to be able
to agree - and one which, pace the history of the 20th century, is not
likely to be accomplished by activities that aim to inflict humiliation on
and fan resentment among ethnic/national groupings in the service of
nationalist agendas.

"The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."