[KS] Educational system in South Korea: an "overall mark"

Victoria Ten yoneun at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 11:29:38 EST 2014

Dear List Members,

As a part of my research on *ki* *suryŏn *(氣修練) in contemporary Korea, I
have interviewed about 60 trainees and trainers of GiCheon (氣天) in South
Korea from September 2010 to April 2011. I learned from the adepts of older
generations that the past school examination system in South Korea involved
giving an “overall mark” to each student. It included school exams results
as well as health data and physical criteria (the ability to run fast, to
jump high etc.) Many of GiCheon adepts complained that as children their
mark was low due to poor physical ability.

Where can I find materials on this “overall mark”? Are there books and
articles on this subject? In South Korea it is often said that the
educational system is the heritage of Japanese colonial rule. Is this
“overall mark” indeed a Japanese heritage? If yes, did Japanese implement
this system for Koreans only, or also for Japanese students in Japan? When
was this system abolished?

Thank you!

Victoria Ten

Leiden University