[KS] Variable Romanization of 년(年) in McCune-Reischauer

Werner Sasse werner_sasse at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 23 01:04:49 EST 2014

Hi,

trying to be pragmatic: if McR tries to write the pronunciation, there should be 1) [n], 2.[zero], 3. [l]
1. [n] if none of the following rules 2. and 3. is the case (육년 yungnyŏn, 독신녀 toksinnyŏ)
2. [zero] at the beginning of a word in S-Kor Korean, when the initial n is deleted like before yota. (여자 yŏja).
The problem with  년 is that in most usages it more resembles a dependent/bound noun, cf. 삼년 samnyŏn, not sam yŏn, 육년 yungnyŏn, not yuk yŏn, 2014년 ... And (because of frequency of bound 년 ?) in normal talk many Koreans pronounce the n- in nyŏn even when initial, while only very few say nyŏja for 여자.
(NO deletion in N-Kor official speak, but to my experience still used even there by many in casual conversation when a "non-political" vocabulary item is used...)
3. [l] after l/r (말년 mallyŏn)
Note that this problem arises only in sino-kor words.

Rules are one thing, applications are another. And, of course, standards should be followed strictly, but adapting the romanisation systems to particular needs and/or documentation media seems to be a problem among researchers and librarians which - seen from the outside - resembles religion wars. I mean: fighting for and about the "best" solution, while there is no best solution looks like fighting for truth where the opposite of truth is only another truth... Pragmatical approach seems to be asked for. And, anyway, no system will be good for speakers of any language or for any application.

And, by the way, the biggest problem I see in all of the different romanisation systems is the lack of hyphenisation rules. Here no solution will be found before those, who are creating official standardized romanisation rules (up to now 4 different systems in my lifetime...) will understand, that the system should not be made to please Korean eyes. Hyphens or spacing are sine-qua-non for Western eyes, even when Koreans do not seem to need them.
Last footnote at the side: The beauty of McC rather than the current system comes from the fact that foreigners made it for foreigners. (Footnote: interesting that Korean colleagues often say that McC is bad because it was made by foreigners. Look at Hepburn for Japanese... ) And we have to give up the ridiculous idea that a writing system needs to be logical, scientific, or what not. It should simply be standardized and be used by everyone, no matter how stupid it may look. (therefore it should also be taught in Korean schools!)
And Pusan/Busan, Kwangju/Gwangju, etc. still lingering on ...,  but here comes a different story)

Best wishes
perŭnŏ sase