[KS] Koreanstudies Digest, Vol 133, Issue 12

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Fri Jul 18 17:50:00 EDT 2014

> "Koreanists" might also find Naver's 'Nanum Gothic' (나눔 고딕) font
> family useful to add to their systems.

Well ...? No, I think Koreanists without the quotation marks will
rather not want to do that.

The very point of the new (but unfortunately on a new Mac OS presently
not yet working) fonts by Adobe & Google (Noto Sans CJK /
SourceHanSans) is that they (a) include over 65,000 characters, (b)
most all the other alphabets and special characters, and that (c) in
various type faces such as Regular, Bold, etc. -- each as an (in a
technical sense) separate font.

These Naver fonts, on the other hand, play like hundreds of others in a
completely different league--that is soccer for the kindergarden, not
world cup. So, you can use those for KOREAN design tasks, BUT ONLY if
no other scripts than Han'gŭl, basic Hanja, and English needs to be
used -- the fun already stops when you need French or German, or work
on any sort of texts Koreanists usually do (e.g. including Hepburn
romanization of some names or Sanskrit terms in transcription--you
would then immediately have to use another font in a different typface!