[KS] Maid servants in early modern Korea

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sun Jul 27 01:55:05 EDT 2014

Eugene Y. Park wrote:
>> more mainstream South Korean scholars tend to be skeptical
>> toward the notion that anyone anywhere in the early modern
>> era worked for "wage" in the purest sense of the word

Hi Gene, hi All:

This is more a question than a comment -- and it is more about your
interesting intro to Amy Stanley question and does NOT specifically
concern female labor.

I know very little about this, but I wonder if the term "indentured
labor" may possibly be a good one, one that explains the situation? For
example, at least half of Europeans who came as immigrants to North
America until the mid-19th century were indentured farm laborers,
clerks, and servants. Many were so-called redemptioners who were given
tickets for the travel and then had to pay off that debt with years of
work. (And if we look at how illegal immigration works today, we will
find that we have not moved an inch from there, and if, then probably
rather backwards, given the inhumanity of the deals.)

Anyway, looking at the regular abuses done by the yangban elite in the
18th and 19th century, it seems that especially the taxation system was
a magnificent tool to move free farmers over to a system of indentured
labor (where labor was a supplantation for crops as tax payment). Did
that downward spiral not continue into the 20th century? FOR EXAMPLE,
you mentioned runaways "joining traveling merchants" -- and most likely
the "pay" that the traveling merchants then offered was hiding and food
and some promises for the future, while getting their labor in return.

Best,
Frank