[KS] forming a Korean forum within the MLA (your participation is needed)

Henry Em henryem at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 03:07:07 EDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

I would like to bring to your attention the (possible) creation of a Korean
(Language, Literature, and Culture) forum within the MLA (Modern Language
Association).

As you may know, for the first time in decades the MLA is restructuring its
division and discussion groups. It will be a significant change, making the
MLA significantly less Euro-centric, and more reflective of what and how
languages and literatures are taught today.

In order for the Korean LLC forum to be established, at least 35 members
must sign the petition, and at least 5 must volunteer for leadership
positions.

At present, however, the MLA website shows only 12 signatures. That means *23
more signatures are needed*, and *the deadline is June 15*.

At present the MLA has only 2 East Asia Divisions / Discussion Groups: East
Asian before 1900 and East Asian after 1900. With the restructuring, and *if
enough MLA members sign the petitions, seven East Asian groups will be
created*:

*NEW*

* CHINESE (under Languages, Literatures, and Cultures):

1) Pre-14th Century Chinese Language and Literature

2) Ming-Qing Language and Literature

3) Modern / Contemporary Chinese Language and Literature

* JAPANESE (under Languages, Literatures, and Cultures):

1) Japanese Language and Literature before 1900

2) Japanese Language and Literature after 1900

* KOREAN (under Languages, Literatures, and Cultures):

1) Korean

*Reconfigured*

* East Asian, under the rubric "Asian"

I am finishing my term on the Executive Committee of East Asian Languages
and Literatures after 1900 -- don't ask how a historian like me wound up on
this Committee -- and it's time for the real scholars of Korean literature
to step forward and create the Korean LLC forum. I think this might mean
you?

You may have noticed that Chinese has 3 groups, Japanese has 2, and Korean
has only 1. The MLA Executive Council will be re-evaluating the structure
every 5 years, and at some point (if the Korean forum is vibrant, etc.) the
Korean forum should become two groups (before and after 1900).

But none of that will happen unless the MLA gets 35 signatures. If you are
a member of the MLA, please see instructions below. Or go directly to:
http://commons.mla.org/groups/prospective-forum-llc-korean/

If you are not a member, please consider becoming a member -- to make
Korean literature a vital component within this influential organization.
It is a pivotal moment.

Thank you in advance.

Henry Em