[KS] forming a Korean forum within the MLA (update)

Henry Em henryem at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 21:26:43 EDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

I am writing with an update. Twenty-seven scholars of Korean and Japanese
literature have now signed the petition for the formation of a Korean
(Language, Literature, and Culture) forum within the MLA.

It has to be said that the MLA commons website is not easy to navigate. I
think you first have to become a member of MLA:
http://www.mla.org/join_new_intro

then you go to the MLA Commons:
http://commons.mla.org/groups/prospective-forum-llc-korean/

- join the Korean forum, and then click on the petitions thread

If you get this far, may I suggest that you also sign the petitions for the
formation of Japanese, Chinese, and East Asian groups?

Some supporters of the Korean forum include Michael Bourdaghs (Chicago),
Yukiko Hanawa (NYU), and Michael Cronin (College of William and Mary) --
all scholars of Japanese Literature.

If I were to appeal to "our" self-interest, it would be to "self-interest
properly understood" -- i.e. our common welfare. The MLA would be a much
more interesting place with Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and East Asia
groups, all very vibrant. And it turns out that the Korean forum has more
signatories than Chinese or Japanese. So, we are in a position to help
establish the other groups within the MLA.

Seven more signatures are needed, to establish the Korean forum in the MLA.

Henry

--
Henry Em
Associate Professor, Korean History

Mobile: 82(country code)-*(0)10-7232-2626*

Office: 82(country code)-(0)32-363-4153