[KS] Variable Romanization of 년(年) in McCune-Reischauer

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Tue Mar 11 07:58:54 EDT 2014

Apologies -- just now noted that there is a logical inconsistency in my
thought as presented in the last posting:

Let me rephrase:

*If* Professor Ledyard's assumption is correct (the ㄴ tended to be
dropped in both, the Korean vernacular and Sino-Korean), then this
means a generic change of pronunciation in southern Korea that can be
seen independent of strengthening nationhood trends.
*If*, however, Professor Sasse's note is correct that that this was a
phenenomen in Sino-Korean terms only, then we could hypothetically link
that to generic changes in what we might call pre-modern
nation-building developments.

Frank