[KS] Variable Romanization of ?(?) in McCune-Reischauer

King, Ross Ross.King at ubc.ca
Thu Mar 13 01:36:06 EDT 2014

I think we need to be careful to distinguish between meta-linguistic considerations and the nitty-gritty of on-the-ground linguistic change.
In our case here, we seem to have conservatism of both types on the Korean periphery--conservatism in the metalinguistic realm (ideas _about_ language and language change) AND conservatism in Sino-Korean phonetics and phonology. They are not necessarily related (and indeed, traditional modern-day linguistics would bristle at the idea that metalinguistics could influence on-the-ground linguistic change, although we know now that this does indeed happen, though only in certain cases where the linguistic phenomenon in question is somehow more salient or accessible to lay speakers--see Michael Silverstein's work on 'the limits of awareness').

Ross

Ross King
Professor of Korean and Head of Department
Department of Asian Studies, University of British Columbia
Asian Centre, 1871 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
vox: 604-822-2835
fax: 604-822-8937