[KS] Is the word "외국인" an instance of "和製漢語"? (Redux)

Kirk Larsen kwlarsen67 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 19:10:17 EDT 2014

It is my understanding that the conception of *neifu* (內服) which is
sometimes glossed as the “inner realm” or “inner territories” and its
opposite *waifu* (外服) has a long and storied history of usage in China that
goes all the way back to the Zhou if not the Shang.

Such terms were still in usage during the Qing. Some Qing officials
grappled with the precise status of Chosŏn Korea and came to the conclusion
that although Chosŏn was not technically part of the *neifu* (內服), its
inhabitants were so close to China in terms of culture and politics that it
constituted a special case. In 1887, King Kojong sent a mission to China
thanking the Qing for its efforts to resolve the Kŏmundo/Port Hamilton
affair and for regarding Korea as if it were part of the *neifu* (內服).

This is, of course, not the same as applying 內 and 外 to states (國),
particularly in the modern, Westphalian definition of the term. However, it
seems to me that the內/外 distinction between polities/territory that are
“us” and those that are “not us,” probably goes back long before the
20thcentury.

Cheers,

Kirk Larsen

--