[KS] Jap. newspaper archives

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sun May 11 09:15:23 EDT 2014

Thanks for your replies. The bottom line seems to be that there are
only commercial digitized databases of *major* Japanese newspapers for
the period before 1950. There seem to be none with free access (or fees
"per downloaded article"). And those commercial DBs do have quite hefty
fees ($4,000 and up per year), are obviously set up for libraries and
other institutional subscribers -- which comes as no surprise.

The link to the _Asahi Shimbun_ that was mentioned here is the one to
the "Kikuzo II Visual" database I also had in my question. Several
universities, of course, have subscriptions (and different login
gateways).

Asahi Shimbun -->

http://database.asahi.com/library2/main/help/reducedsize_naiyou01.html
http://database.asahi.com/library2e/main/help/reducedsize_naiyou01_e.html
(Engl.)
"Kikuzo II Visual" database:
http://database.asahi.com/library2/main/help/about.html
http://database.asahi.com/library2e/main/help/about_e.html  (Engl.)

There there are the archives of the _Yomiuri Shimbun_ that Dr. Alison
Tokita kindly made me aware of (also pointing out that those are
commercial). The fees here are just as high as those for the _Asahi
Shimbun_.

Yomiuri Shimbun -->

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/database/
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/database/rekishikan/
Fees:
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/database/rekishikan/ryokin/

I know that the _Mainichi Shimbun_ has a PHOTO DB that one can search
freely (link below), but that is pretty much all there is.
https://photobank.mainichi.co.jp/php/KK_search.php

Best,
Frank