[KS] RAS Korea in April

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Thu Apr 2 21:42:41 EDT 2015

Members of this List who are in Korea are welcome to join us in the activities organized by the Royal Asiatic Society Korea Branch.

Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea

See our Website: http://www.raskb.com  for full details

Upcoming Lectures
Tuesday, April 14, Benjamin Joinau: Virtuous Women and Depraved Females: The Image of Women in North Korean Cinema
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 Hwang In-Hee & Kim Jaebum: Royal tombs of Joseon
Tuesday, May 12 David Mason: National Master Doseon and his Pungsu-jiri Theory
Tuesday, May 26 Dr Yi Song-Mi: Symbolism and functions of Palace screens of the Joseon Dynasty

Excursions
Saturday, April 18, 2015: Cherry Blossoms in Gyeonggi-do (Sue Bae)
Sunday, April 19, 2015: Ganghwa Island Shinmiyangyo Excursion (Thomas Duvernay)
Saturday April 25 Cheollipo Arboretum (Sue Bae)
Sunday April 26 Songdo  (Jon Dunbar)
May 9 Gaehwasan walking tour (Matt van Volkenburg)
May 9 - 10 The Spirit of Gwangju (KTX + overnight) (Robert Koehler)
May 16 - 17 Jirisan Tea-making (Br Anthony)

The RAS Cinema Club with the Seoul Film Society
These are free showings of great Korean movies, with an introduction and free-wheeling discussion after, every first Saturday afternoon of each month in Haechi Hall, Seoul Global Cultural Center on the 5th floor, Mplaza, Myeongdong, Seoul.
Saturday, April 4, 2pm A Single Spark’ about Jeon Tae-il, a worker who protested labour conditions through self-immolation. Director Park Kwang-su will take part in a 90 minute Interview and Question and Answer session after the screening. Park is considered the leader of the "New Korean Cinema" movement.
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/seoulfilmsociety/

RAS - Business & Culture Club
Tuesday, April 21, 2015. Imperial Temple & Altar of Heaven(Wongudan, 원구단 or Hwangudan, 환구단) next to Hotel Chosun.
The Business & Culture Club meeting is held every 3rd Tuesday of the month. Please join the Facebook Group of the above name to receive detailed information.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/rasbusinessclub/

RAS Reading Club
Monday, April 6 at 7:00 p.m. We are reading Knife Marks (칼자국) by Kim Aeran (김애란).
We talk about a Korean short story translated into English each month in the library at Jongno District Office. Please see the Facebook page for more information and the text of the story.
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/rasreadingclub/

RAS Photography Workshops
Tom Coyner offers a series of in-depth “Royal Asiatic Society-Blue Dalmatian Photo Workshops.” Please get in touch with Tom at tomcoyner at gmail.com or 010-9099-6195. You are also encouraged to visit the Blue Dalmatian Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BlueDalmatianPhoto

Visits to the National Museum
This year we will have 4 visits, the first will be on April 1 starting at 7pm in the Lobby of the Museum
Wednesday April 1, “Western Influence on Korean Painting”

RAS Colloquium in Korean Studies
An informal gathering each month for the presentation and discussion of research by people engaged in Korean Studies at a serious level. Contact Brother Anthony (ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr) for more information.

Bookstore & Library
Our office also houses our Library and serves as a bookstore, with many rare and interesting titles about Korea available, with a discount for RAS members. Please phone before visiting, to be sure there will be someone there.

Please sign up for our emailed Newsletters (domestic and overseas) through links in the Membership section of our home page www.raskb.com  and join / like our Facebook page and groups.