[KS] Percival Lowell

Yoo Kwang-On almakoreana at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 16:43:52 EDT 2015

Hello,

Professor Samuel Hawley should have an answer but in case he misses your
post,
here are some names;

Seoul
1. Mrs. Foote
2. Minister Foote's personal secretary(young male) - lived at the Legation
3. U.S. Navy Lt. Bernard, Smithsonian(museum) attache - lived at the
Legation

Busan
1. Mr. Joey, Smithonian Attache
2. a couple Westerners (British?) working for the Korean Customs Service.

According to U.S. Navy Lt. George Foulk(He arrived in Korea May 31, 1884),
Lowell had a Korean woman and had a boy between them.

For detail accounts of early Westerners in Korea, please read following
books edited by
Prof. Samuel Hawley, ex-English Professor at Yonsei University, Seoul.

AMERICA'S MAN IN KOREA
The Private Letters of George C, Foulk, 1884-1997, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Man-Korea-Private-1884-1887/dp/0739120980

INSIDE THE HERMIT KINGDOM
The 1884 Korea Travel Diary of George Clayton Foulk, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Hermit-Kingdom-Journal-Clayton/dp/0739120964

Regards,

Yoo Kwang-On