[KS] Griffis

Hyung Pai hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Thu Apr 9 13:11:42 EDT 2015

Dear members
As far as I know  based on  Griffis own preface to the Hermit Kingdom (1882) that he confessed that he was a compiler and seemed slightly embarrassed that he had never set foot in Korea and that his knowledge was all second hand based on various other travelers and reports. Of course this kind of armchair scholar attitude was par for the course at the time. I think he visited briefly much later in the 1910s.
Hyung Il Pai
Professor, East Asian Languages and Cultural Studies
HSSB Building, University of California, Santa Barbara
CA 93106
Fax: 805-893-7671
Email: hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Dept Home-page profile: http://www.eastasian.ucsb.edu/home/faculty/hyung-il-pai/