[KS] Korean Literature in English translation

안선재 ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Mon Dec 21 21:41:10 EST 2015

I think that members of this list might like to have a fairly full list of the volumes of Korean literature in English translation published in 2015 (or about to be published) which I have prepared. It will probably not be complete but this seems to be the best I can do and I hope it will be useful for librarians as well as individual readers. Amazon.com will usually give fuller information.

Brother Anthony
Chair-Professor, Dankook University etc.

Korean Poetry in English translation

Beating on Iron
Kim Soo-Bok
Translated by Brother Anthony
Green Integer

Maninbo: Peace & War
Ko Un
Translated by Brother Anthony / Lee Sang-Wha
Bloodaxe

Patterns
Lee Si-Young
Translated by Brother Anthony / Yoo Hui-Sok
Green Integer

Wild Apple
Heeduk Ra
Translated by Daniel Parker etc
White Pine

The Colors of Dawn: Twentieth-Century Korean Poetry
An anthology of poems by 44 poets
Translated by Brother Anthony, Chung Eun-Gwi, etc
Manoa (University of Hawai’i Press, early 2016)

Korean novels in English translation

The Girl Who Wrote Loneliness
Kyung-Sook Shin
Translated by Ha-Yun Jung
Pegasus

The Investigation
J. M. Lee
Translated by Chi-Young Kim
Pegasus

Princess Bari
Hwang Sok-Yong
Translated by Sora Kim-Russell
Periscope

Nowhere to Be Found
Bae Suah
Translated by Sora Kim-Russell
Amazon Crossing

The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher
Ahn Do-hyeon
Translated by Deborah Smith
PanMacmillan

The Vegetarian
Han Kang
Translated by Deborah Smith
Portobello Books

Human Acts
Han Kang
Translated by Deborah Smith
Portobello Books (January 2016)

Modern Family
Myeong-kwan Cheon
Translated by Kyoung-lee Park
White Pine

The Future of Silence: Fiction by Korean Women
9 authors
Translated by Ju-Chan Fulton / Bruce Fulton
Zephyr (February 2016)

Dalkey Archive’s Library of Korean Literature added 5 more titles late in 2015:

Son of Man
Yi Mun-yol
Translated by Brother Anthony of Taiz?

A Good Family
Seo Hajin
Translated by Ally Hwang & Amy Smith

God Has No Grandchildren
Kim Gyeong-uk
Translated by Sunok Kang

The Private Lives of Plants
Lee Seung-U
Translated by Inrae You Vinciguerra & Louis Vinciguerra

Rina
Kang Young-sook
Translated by Kim Boram

These are in addition to last year's 14 Dalkey Archive Korean Literature volumes:

Stingray by Kim Joo-young
One Spoon on This Earth by Hyun Ki Young
When Adam Opens His Eyes by Jang Jung-il
My Son’s Girlfriend by Jung Mi-kyung
A Most Ambiguous Sunday, and Other Stories by Jung Young Moon
The House with a Sunken Courtyard by Kim Won-il
At Least We Can Apologize by Lee Ki-ho
The Soil by Yi Kwang-su
Lonesome You by Park Wan-suh
No One Writes Back by Jang Eun-jin
Pavane for a Dead Princess by Park Min-Gyu
The Square by Choi In-Hun
Scenes from the Enlightenment: A Novel of Manners by Kim Namcheon
Another Man’s City by Ch’oe In-Ho

Asia Publishers have continued to add to their K-Library of Korean short fiction in bilingual volumes in 2015:

Kong’s Garden by Hwang Jung-eun
Danny by Yun I-hyeong
Homecoming by Cheon Myeong-kwan