[KS] punishment of women in Choson

Jisoo Kim jsk10 at gwu.edu
Thu Feb 5 16:09:03 EST 2015

Dear Deberniere,

William Shaw's *Legal Norms in a Confucian State* has a section on "Women
and the Law" (pp. 101-6). Also, 백옥경, "조선시대 여성폭력과 법: 경상도 지역 <검안>을 중심으로,"
한국고전여성문학연구 19. She also explains women's punishment based on the *Great
Ming Code*.

As Sun Joo suggested in her email, I also do not agree with the statement
you highlighted: "that the Choson state was more lenient toward women as
criminals, since they were considered subject to and therefore less
responsible than men." I don't know where you got this information, but I
think this statement generalizes women's punishment in the Choson. Women's
punishment depended more on what kind of crime women of different social
statuses committed. For example, if a woman murdered her husband, she would
receive harsher punishment than a man. It would be more helpful to think
about in what context and what kind of punishment women committed in your
research. You could then refer to the legal codes or court rulings to
examine what punishment they received.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Jisoo

--
Jisoo M. Kim, Ph.D.
Korea Foundation Assistant Professor of History, International Affairs,
E-mail: jsk10 at gwu.edu
http://departments.columbian.gwu.edu/history/people/111