[KS] RAS Korea activities for May

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri May 1 03:53:48 EDT 2015

The RAS welcomes all who are interested in gaining a deeper understanding Korea past and present. Here are our activities for May. Please join us if you are in Seoul.

Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea

See our Website: http://www.raskb.com  for full details

Upcoming Lectures (In Somerset Palace)
Wednesday, May 6 7:30 pm. David Mason: National Master Doseon and his Pungsu-jiri Theory
Tuesday, May 26 7:30 pm. Dr Yi Song-Mi: Symbolism and functions of Palace screens of the Joseon Dynasty

Excursions
Saturday, May 2 Mungyeong Tea Bowl Festival (Jennifer Flinn)
Sunday, May 3 Magkeolli Brewery Tour (Julia Mellor)
Saturday, May 9 The Spirit of Gwangju (Robert Koehler)
Sunday, May 10 Gaehwasan walking tour (Matt van Volkenburg)
May 16 - 17 Jirisan Tea-making and Food (Br Anthony)
Sunday May 17 Seoul City Wall (Robert Fouser)
Sunday, May 24 Visit Suwon - Country Palace and Fortress City Walls (Peter Bartholomew)
Monday May 25 Buddha’s Birthday in Seoul (Jeremy Seligson)
Sunday May 31 Jeongdong walking (Matt van Volkenburg)

The RAS Cinema Club with the Seoul Film Society
Saturday, May 2 at 3:00pm ‘The Harmonium in My Memory’ (1999, 내 마음의 풍금) stars Jeon Do-yeon (winner of Best Actress Award at Cannes in 2007) and Lee Byung-hun.
These are free showings of great Korean movies, with an introduction and free-wheeling discussion after, every first Saturday afternoon of each month in Haechi Hall, Seoul Global Cultural Center on the 5th floor, Mplaza, Myeongdong, Seoul.
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/seoulfilmsociety/

RAS - Business & Culture Club
Tuesday, May 19, 2015 Visit to Jogye-sa temple
The Business & Culture Club meeting is held at midday every 3rd Tuesday of the month. Please join the Facebook Group of the above name to receive detailed information.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/rasbusinessclub/

RAS Reading Club
Monday, May 4 at 7:00 p.m. We will be reading My Clint Eastwood by Oh Han-ki (오한기) (buy it from the RAS office or at a lecture)
We talk about a Korean short story translated into English each month in the library at Jongno District Office. Please see the Facebook page  https://www.facebook.com/groups/rasreadingclub/

RAS Photography Workshops
Tom Coyner offers a series of in-depth “Royal Asiatic Society-Blue Dalmatian Photo Workshops.” Please get in touch with Tom at tomcoyner at gmail.com or 010-9099-6195. You are also encouraged to visit the Blue Dalmatian Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BlueDalmatianPhoto

RAS National Museum of Korean Contemporary History Visits
Wednesday, May 20, 7:00 – 8:30 pm. A guided visit to the An Jung-geun exhibition followed by a presentation / discussion, all in English. This is a trial run for a regular series of visits.

RAS Colloquium in Korean Studies
An informal gathering each month for the presentation and discussion of research by people engaged in Korean Studies at a serious level. Contact Brother Anthony (ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr) for more information.