[KS] formal question (which version of Chinese characters?)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sat May 30 23:04:47 EDT 2015

A small observation -- Hong Kong:

Hong Kong, and I never cared paying attention but just saw this 
accidentally -- as we are in this localized vs. traditional character 
debate now -- seems to have adopted multicultural orthographic policy 
of sorts: that is, allowing both mainland Simplified ADN Traditional. 


"Patrick Tam (譚耀文), who once used to be a leading TVB actor, has not 
filmed a single memorable Chinese drama since leaving Hong Kong for 
Mainland. His villainous eunuch role in The Emperor’s Harem <后宫> has 
left an impressionable mark on Mainland Chinese TV goers, but the drama 
itself was poorly received critically."

Now, that actor, because he is originally from Hong Kong is referred to 
using the Traditional (Tan would otherwise be 谭 and not 譚.) But the 
TV drama he played in from mainland China is referred to by using 
Simplified (后宫 instead of 后宮 -- just one stroke less.) There are 
other such examples on that same page.
Hong Kong citizens, on the other hand, seem not really free to be 
encouraged to say so if they prefer using Traditional:

In any case, it seems then that even within the new, "reunified" China 
attention and space is given to both "cultures" within China. In this 
case, with Hong Kong, consideration is given to the fact that the 
cultures have hanged into different directions over the past 100 years 
due to different political systems.


Frank Hoffmann

More information about the Koreanstudies mailing list