[KS] Korean Studies in France / French

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Wed Sep 16 03:41:33 EDT 2015

Last week I was fortunate to be able to attend the 2015 workshop of the Réseau des études sur la Corée - Paris Consortium and meet for the first time a number of scholars whose names were very familiar. It made me more strongly aware of how narrowly anglophone our Korean Studies discussion list is and how important it would be for there to be closer collaboration and exchange between the coreanists working in various languages. Since I assume that almost everyone on this list can read French, I want just to point toward the developing main site of the Réseau  http://www.reseau-etudes-coree.univ-paris-diderot.fr/   with its professional Blog and, perhaps most useful, its very large number of e-texts of Korea-related materials, ancient and recent, available to those who register as users of the resource. Equally precious is the developing set of online translations, usually from Classical Chinese. Because so many Korean Studies scholars working in English are on the western side of the Atlantic, distance makes physical meeting problematic, so that the Internet should be fully utilized in order to form a closer international Korean Studies community.

Related to this, it seems to me that new publications in Korean Studies in whatever western language should be systematically announced on our Korean Studies list and I remain puzzled by people's reluctance to do so. How else are we to know what is being published?

Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea, etc