[KS] Journal of Korean Religions / Vol. 7 No. 1 / April 2016

JKR journalkr at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Apr 29 10:26:36 EDT 2016

The *Journal of Korean Religions* (JKR) would like to announce the April
2016 publication of Volume 7, Number 1.

This issue features critical appraisals of Buddhist praxis past and
present, an intellectual history of Yi I’s Neo-Confucianism, the second in
our special series on religious thinkers of modern Korea (an essay on Sŏn
Master T’oeong Sŏngch’ŏl), and book reviews on four recent works on Korean
religions, including a provocative new Korean language work on the
connection between Korean Protestantism and the Korean War.

*Research Articles*

Perception of Monastic Slaves by Scholar-Officials and Monks in the Late

Koryŏ and Early Chosŏn Periods

Sung-Eun Thomas Kim

Views on Buddhist Precepts and Morality in Late Koryŏ

Sem Vermeersch

Does the Neo-Confucianism of the Chosŏn Dynasty belong to the Cheng-Zhu

School?: Rethinking the Intellectual History of Chosŏn through the

Philosophical Tradition of Yi I (1538–1584)

Weon-jae Jeong

*Special Series: Religious Thinkers of Modern Korea*

The Philosophy of Sŏn Master T’oeong Sŏngch’ŏl (1912–1993)

Bernard Senécal S.J.

*Book Reviews*

Death, Mourning, and the Afterlife in Korea: From Ancient to Contemporary

Times. Charlotte Horlyck and Michael J. Pettid.

Reviewed by Laurel Kendall

Building A Heaven on Earth: Religion, Activism, and Protest in Japanese-

Occupied Korea. Albert L. Park.

Reviewed by Hwansoo Kim

Korea’s Great Buddhist-Confucian Debate: The Treatises of Chŏng Tojŏn

(Sambong) and Hamhŏ Tŭkt’ong (Kihwa). Korean Classics Library:

Philosophy and Religion. Translated and with an introduction

by A. Charles Muller.

Reviewed by Sem Vermeersch

한국전쟁과 기독교. Han’guk chŏnjaeng kwa kidokkyo [The Korean War and

Protestantism]. 윤정란 Yoon Jeong Ran.

Reviewed by Kyuhoon Cho

Upcoming issues of JKR will focus on a number of special topics, including
urban aspirations and religion, the latest research on Wǒnhyo Daesa,
Confucian spirituality, and the relationship between media and religious
thought and practice in modern Korea. We also look forward to further
critical biographies in our series on religious thinkers in Korea.

As always, we welcome submissions from scholars across the disciplines on
all topics pertaining to Korean religion.

Submissions and inquiries should be sent to the Managing Editor:
journalkr at sogang.ac.kr.

Style guidelines can be found here: http://bit.ly/JKRsubguide

Best wishes,

Kim Seong-nae

Don Baker

Editors-in-Chief, Journal of Korean Religions