[KS] Mac, Microsoft, HWP

King, Ross Ross.King at ubc.ca
Wed Aug 31 18:35:59 EDT 2016

Dear Frank:

Thanks for sharing this.

I gave up on the Mac/Apple platform almost 20 years ago already because it was already useless then in terms of, for example, typing any extended text (i.e., more than two syllables) in anything in pre-1933 Unified Hangul Orthography that might use anything as exotic as the "arae a" (let along consonant clusters or graphs from Middle Korean), but it is truly disappointing to learn that even hancha are being ditched--shutting out half a millennium of production before 1933 is one thing, but now we're confined to the 1980s and later on Macs?!

The situation with Windows is not much better though--also useless and hopelessly inconvenient for pre-1933 hangul orthography, and note that 구결 is also a real challenge on either platform.

For all the cynical self-serving nationalist-inspired posturing that surrounded HWP's desperate fight to resist being bought out by Microsoft at the time of the IMF crisis, thank goodness that particular Korean company and word processor survived, making South Korea one of the few countries in the world where Microsoft does not have a complete lockhold on the word-processer business.

But alas! The most recent versions of HWP seem to be getting worse and cludgier, too--2010 is still the best.

Nonetheless, the single most useful option for anybody who wants to write about Korea and use a) hancha, b) pre-1933 spellings, c) made-in-Korea sinographs, and d) 구결 (part and parcel of reading and writing practice in Korea for more than a thousand years), is HWP--everybody should go out and buy a copy!

Cheers,

Ross

Ross King
Professor of Korean and Head of Department
Department of Asian Studies, University of British Columbia
Asian Centre, 1871 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
vox: 604-822-2835
fax: 604-822-8937