[KS] Revised Romanization Detailed Guidelines?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Thu Dec 8 23:49:00 EST 2016

Dear Dennis, and All:

My *impression* is that we are in a downward spiral. My *impression* is
further that after the initial publication of the RR 2000 system hardly
anyone seriously cares, EXCEPT those scholars in Asian studies outside
of Korea who are pushed to adopt that system (e.g. as they or their
institution receive funding from Korean government associated
organization, or because they publish in Korea itself). Hyoungbae Lee
just posted the link to the scanned version of the English language
booklet _The Revised Romanization of Korean_, the scanned version of it
at the National Institute of Korean Language website. This is a Korean
government website, and as we see they do not even deem it necessary to
put up a text one can actually read without performing some Yoga
exercise (the document is turned 45 degrees to the right). That seems
no coincidence. It continues. In terms of content there are other
"quality" and scholarship issues. Not to repeat a discussion already
completed in 1999/2000, but my point is, things have not improved ...
we still see that old text up there, that has never been updated with
any really complete romanization guide. On page 7 (PDF pagination) of
that old guide we thus see such claims as: "(...) Kumkang and Hankuk,
for 금강 and 한국 instead of Kŭmgang and Han-guk, as would have been
correct according to the old system." "Han-guk," of course, is not the
correct transcription according to McCune-Reischauer. And how many
scholars in Korea do indeed follow the RR 2000 guide? While McC-R has
been abolished in Korea, as before, everyone, including scholars, is
now still using their personal rule of thumb guide instead of the new
system -- that is, a mix between the new system and freehand
interpretations of signs in the cloudy autumn sky. How professionally
has the not-anymoe-so-new system been implemented? A Korean studies
librarian at Princeton University wondering where to find an actual,
up-to-date ruleset of this system, 16 years after it was implemented,
is a good measure to get to a conclusion here. One side effect of the
results of the implementation is that students no longer appropriately
learn the "old" McC-R system, and that most, if not all (from what I
see all) major Asian studies journals have by now gotten rather "loose"
in terms of editing out transcription errors. THAT again distinguishes
Korean studies publications from studies about Japan and China in
rather unfortunate terms, making KS look like a field in its infancy --
a stage it had already overcome at the exact time the new RR system was
introduced.

Not too long ago I stumbled over an article from, I think it was 2009
or 2014 (cannot give you the reference now), that pointed out how the
rules for romanizing personal names were again revised. I recall some
examples from classical literature, e.g. how to romanize 심쳥전 -- with
that female given name together or as two separate names, etc. All I
recall now is that there were changes applied to the official system.

Regards,
Frank