[KS] Revised Romanization Detailed Guidelines?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Fri Dec 9 18:29:26 EST 2016

Two brief note regarding Hyoungbae Lee's last note:

QUOTE:
-----
-3. Oneureun nalssiga jota (RR)
-4. Oneul eun nalssi ga jota
    (most probably, National Library of Korea version of RR)
-----

That would be yet another bad "handling" of RR. The ONLY advantage of
RR oder McC-R that I can see is that it can be machine generated by the
simplest means, which makes a huge difference for e.g. cataloging
books, but also -- more important! -- in industry, administration, and
international relations. Once this kind of -- in my opinion obscure --
stops are introduced as they exist in McC-R (just as obscure there),
this advantage will be gone. The simple result will be just one more
rule in existence to be disregarded by the majority of people.
Why do I call this "obscure" -- apart from the just made technical
argument? Because transcription systems should be there to emulate a
language in another script known to the reader. What sense does it make
to introduce new orthographic rules (about word divisions) in a
transcription system (except for writing systems that don't know stops,
such as classical Chinese).

Frank