[KS] Revised Romanization Detailed Guidelines?

Charles Muller acmuller at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sat Dec 10 22:08:09 EST 2016

As an early adopter and consistent user of RR, I have always been
disappointed by the lack of sustained visible support provided for the
system by the Korean government. A few years back, when I published /A
Korean-English Dictionary of Buddhism/ I ran into disagreements with my
co-compilers and the publisher on hyphenation and assimilation rules.
When we contacted the NIKL to resolve these, they were clueless. So I
basically do my best by following the original chart published in 2000,
and as Rick McBride pointed out, it seems like the various journals and
publishing houses will be left to figure their own ways of implementing it.

I suppose the apparent relative solidity of the implementation of Pinyin
might be attributable to various causes, among which one would certainly
be the sustained push made by the PRC. But one point is eminently clear,
which stands in stark contrast to the situation with RR: the rules and
guidelines for the application of Pinyin are well documented and
published with detailed precision in a number of places (see, for
example, the appendix in Francis' ABC Dictionary of Chinese). If an
official Korean governmental or academic organization would take the
time to carry out an equivalent effort just once, much could be resolved.

Regards,

Chuck

--

A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan