[KS] Revised Romanization Detailed Guidelines?

Charles Muller acmuller at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Dec 12 01:42:57 EST 2016

On 12/12/2016 11:16 AM, Brother Anthony wrote:

> Charles Muller writes: " If an official Korean governmental or
> academic organization would take the time to carry out an equivalent
> effort just once, much could be resolved."
>
> Alas, rather too much experience makes me want to write, rather, "If
> an official Korean governmental or academic organization took the
> time to carry out an equivalent effort, far greater confusion would
> result."

Aah, after all, you are right--by now I should know better.

In fact, the decision to contact NIKL during the publication of my
dictionary was made by my Korean colleagues, not by me, and it turned
out that I had it all right, and that the NIKL people and my Korean
collaborators did not understand the issues at all. It is, after all,
mainly the foreign scholars and librarians who need to deal with the
thorny issues.

And come to think of it, the detailed Pinyin guidelines that we have at
our disposal were probably not written by the Chinese, either.

With all I've invested in RR, it actually might make sense for me to try
to initiate, or at least offer my experience to the composition of such
a text. I'll try to look for an opportunity to do so...

Chuck

A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan