[KS] Revised Romanization Detailed Guidelines?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Wed Dec 14 10:01:50 EST 2016

Interesting definition of the term "exactly" ... be that as it is, it
certainly is nice to have this new search mask, either bundled for all
EA collections or separated for each library.

If I understand that correct, then you are no more manually entering
any transcription at all. Instead all is set to autopilot.
EXAMPLE:
http://gso.gbv.de/DB=1.97/PPNSET?PPN=3351542488
This is a title how it looks through your *new* mask; it only displays
all bibliographic data in Korean script as imported from KERIS.
Is this correct thus far?

In your old (= truly antique and outdated and hardly functional!)
search mask though, CJK does not show, and for these new acquisitions
you have the computer autogenerate the romanization, not quite
according to RR 2000, but by separating words and names into syllables,
and the outcome is then displayed (which would explain to me why even
place names show half the time up as separated syllables. Basically,
you generate just another code for machine reading, nothing to directly
serve the needs of human reading, no romanization in the classical
sense. Anyway, if I try to find the above mentioned sample title _시민
의 탄생: 조선의 근대와 공론장의 지각 변동_ in your "old" online search
mask, I am unable to get there. I pretended to be a robot and tried
  si min ui tan saeng
without luck. Then I tried McC-R transcription
  shiminŭi t'ansaeng
and got shown the English edition of that book instead.

In the new mask, there is no way to display original script AND
romanization. Works are always bibliographed in their original script.
Is this correct?
I also see that you also seem to have updated this as regards to the
older publications from GDR times that still show with that old GDR
transcription system (I believe it was Dr. Rentner's work) in your old
mask. EXAMPLE:
http://gso.gbv.de/DB=1.97/PPNSET?PPN=3350246435

So, as a user, summing up the info we now have:
The new search mask does not anymore provide any romanization at all.
But the user can search for publications and other materials using the
script these were published in. Is that all correct? If so, I suppose
that should be just fine (except for trying to get help from library
stuff who are not trained in EA languages). I at least now understand
your earlier points better.

And to sum up the summary:
The intro of RR 2000 has let to the disappearance of any authoritative
transcription or romanization system for Korean -- it also has
successfully cancelled itself out to some degree. "Always look on the
bright side of life ..." (Monty Python).

Frank

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:14:02 +0000, Dunkel, Carolin wrote:
> Exactly what I said, there is no need to think about changing the
> Romanization system for the libraries, especially if there is no
> original script in the catalogues. It is much more important to add
> Hangul to the catalogues and to work on the retrieval for original
> script. This is what the library networks in Germany have agreed to
> do. The question of Romanization becomes less important the better
> the original script works in the catalogues and the more data are
> available in original script. We are working on that challenge.
>
> To search our East Asia collection we recommend to use our platform
> http://crossasia.org/ for search in original script.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carolin

>>> 10785 Berlin