[KS] Interview in Korean with Nancy Abelmann (1959-2016)

Jinhee J Lee jlee at eiu.edu
Mon Jan 11 18:26:57 EST 2016

Dear Friends and Colleagues of Professor Nancy Abelmann,

I know many of you might be still in shock to digest the sad news of the passing of our beloved friend, colleague, and mentor Nancy Abelmann at the University of Urbana-Champaign. Some of you saw the following through other media or earlier emails already, and due to the rich content Nancy put in this interview sharing about her encounter with Korea, Koreans, Korean and Korean American Studies, I am sharing this video with you who are members of this email list. My old friend PD/Announcer Won J Park at News Magazine in Chicago interviewed her about her work and life in Korean on March 2, 2010. It is one of the rare media interviews Nancy gave in her beautiful Korean. Also attached is the obituary from the local newspaper.

I was grateful that I was able to mourn and grieve for Nancy with her loving family, relatives, and friends in town (the last shiva service in town tonight) through which I was very much comforted and relieved. She was much more than my grad school day instructor in the last century but was my intellectual and personal mentor, neighbor, and friend as she has been to many many around the world. I believe the light she had in her and through her rich work across many disciplines and fields will continue to shine through many of us in Korean Studies all over the globe in the years to come.

Forever grateful Jinhee J. Lee

from Urbana-Champaign, Illinois

http://newsmzn.com/?p=3363
[http://newsmzn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/nancy-abelmann.jpg]<http://newsmzn.com/?p=3363>

Nancy Abelmann ?? - ??? ??? - News Magazine Chicago<http://newsmzn.com/?p=3363>
newsmzn.com
[??? ???? ?? ?? ???? '???? ??' ??? ??? ??? ?????.] ??? ??? ????? Nancy Abelmann ??? ??, ?? ??? ??? ?? ???? ?? ??? ???? ??. [?? ? ??] ?????? 2010? 3? 2?, MC ??? PD? ???? ???? Abelmann ??.

http://www.news-gazette.com/obituaries/2016-01-10/nancy-abelmann.html

[http://news-gazette.com/sites/all/themes/custom/ng_fbg/images/social.jpg]<http://www.news-gazette.com/obituaries/2016-01-10/nancy-abelmann.html>

Nancy Abelmann | News-Gazette.com<http://www.news-gazette.com/obituaries/2016-01-10/nancy-abelmann.html>
www.news-gazette.com
URBANA - Nancy Abelmann, 56, of Urbana passed away on Wednesday (Jan. 6, 2016) at her home, surrounded by her loving family. Nancy was the Harry E. Preble Professor ...

Thanks,
Jinhee J. Lee, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of History
Chair of Asian Studies