[KS] Inquiry from a New York Times columnist

Don Baker ubcdbaker at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 22 18:53:08 EDT 2016

I agree with what Ned and Clark have already told you. If my memory serves me right, this custom was being practiced when I first went to Korea in 1971 but, obviously, people in jobs with low pay couldn’t afford to spend their entire first pay check on the parents.  Those lucky enough to graduate from a university and land a decent paying job, however, often felt obligated to share that first pay check with their parents. I know of one young Korean-American man who waited a while until he had enough money to buy his mom a new car (He still lived at home, so he didn’t have to worry about housing costs.)
My wife  tells me that traditionally the first pay check was used to buy long johns to keep the parents warm on cold winter nights. I’m not sure if that aspect of the culture survives, now that there is better heat in Korean homes!
It’s good to keep in mind that some time-honoured customs survive longer in overseas communities  (because Koreans outside of Korea make a special effort to maintain Korean customs), so I’m not sure how much that custom is followed in Seoul today. Somebody who lives in Korea could provide more reliable information.
Don

Don Baker ProfessorDepartment of Asian Studies University of British Columbia Vancouver, Canada V6T 1Z2 don.baker at ubc.ca