[KS] Inquiry from a New York Times columnist

Hang Ryeol Na nhr24 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 25 10:48:31 EDT 2016

Dear Mr. Lieber (and everyone else on the list),

Thanks for your email. I just wanted to share my little story, hoping that it can be something "about how different Korean and Korean-American families interpret it today." To me, it is about religious faith. I was born and raised in Seoul, South Korea. I became a university freshman in 1992, when my family was having a very difficult time financially because my father's business completely failed. Like many of college students in Korea, I worked for a part time job while being a full time student (Koreans call it arbeit, a german word), which was English tutoring for a middle school student. I received 400,000 Korean won as the first monthly pay and it was my first time in my life of making money. I gave it all to my mother. Nothing serious. I thought it is simply a right thing to do based on the bible teachings about first fruit (Leviticus 23:10, Deuteronomy 26:2) and honoring parents (Ephesians 6:2). Just the other day when I asked my mother about how she remembers it, she said 'It was a lifeline. We were able to survive that month because of the money you gave me. Actually a few more months we were able to survive when you had the arbeit." I am positive I can find many other people even just around me who did the same or very similar thing as I did with the same motivation.

Sincerely,

Hang Ryeol Na, Rochester NY