[KS] Origin of term "자연부락"?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Thu Jun 30 19:09:51 EDT 2016

Adding to Stefan Knoob's notes, Zenshō Eisuke, whom Stefan mentioned,
used (according to a summary I read) the term 舊洞 里, the "old
village," in his 3-volume _Chōsen no shūraku_ 朝鮮の聚落 (1933-35).
And he seems to have used various other terms for the same definition
of this type of village also. My two points, though, are:

(a) Zenshō, and others following after him, wrote that the 舊洞 里
consisted of around 50 households on average, and that it included
usually 2 to 3 natural villages -- clan villages. This is what leads me
to the second point.
(b) It seems that there were for centuries TWO parallel "concepts" of
"village" in Korea (and that these concepts had no parallel in Japanese
society). If we think of Martina Deuchler's _The Confucian
Transformation ..._ well-known study with her main argument about how
Confucianism AND Chinese models of administration and culture were
introduced to Korea, how that created many parallel structures within
state and society, rather than just replacing "the old" with the "the
new" (= Chinese), then we get to a better understanding of what Zenshō
was discussing (as I understand it from the summary). ... And, for my
own interests, we sure can apply that very same explanatory model, with
just a few tweaks and twists, also to the 20th century, e.g. in the art
world. At the very least it is helpful. But back to villages. THIS
means the question Tomy Tran asked is, in a way, somewhat of a
misleading question. That term itself (자연부락) seems in no way of any
importance, and there were various other terms used dring the colonial
period that all described the same phenomenon -- in my current
understanding. (And here I completely agree with Stefan also, as for
the usage of 자연부락.)
Also, if you look at current publication from South Korea that deal
with 자연부락, you will find that many deal with *legal* issues -- with
how a 자연부락 relates to other, official administrative units (and
thus new divisions of land and households and ownership, rights, and
responsibilities) that were in place in colonial or post-colonial
Korea. One country, two or more (partially parallel) systems,
traditional rights and new rights, etc. ... that's what it is all
about.

In order to further clarify my point above, the relation of traditional
Korea and the introduction of administrative units from CHINA, here a
longer quote from a 1976 article by Dieter Eikemeier (see:
http://www.jstor.org/stable/4528051) -- and this is about Chosŏn period
Korea, NOT the colonial period: