[KS] Early western accounts of Korea anthologized

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Sat Nov 19 01:01:05 EST 2016

I would like to announce the publication of "Brief Encounters: Early Reports of Korea by Westerners"
Compiled and edited by Brother Anthony of Taizé and Robert Neff  Seoul Selection  http://www.seoulselection.com/
359 pages with 10 pages of coloured illustrations  ISBN: 9781624120787

The Table of Contents can be viewed at http://anthony.sogang.ac.kr/BriefEncountersContents.html

Most of the texts selected (and published here with only minimal editorial introductions and notes) are already available online in my home page through the 3 links at the top of my 'Old Books" page http://anthony.sogang.ac.kr/BooksKorea.htm  (a page which also list links to a few hundred online old books about Korea and other similar materials). The intention is to give a fairly full picture of what was reported in Europe about Joseon / Corea / Korea before the diplomatic opening. To widen the scope a little, I have translated a few texts from French, including some pages from Charles Dallet. Obviously, we hope that this anthology will be useful in the classroom but most of what it contains is entertaining enough to be read during the long winter nights at home for pleasure.

Copies are available here in Korea but have not yet reached the outside world. They are on their way and should arrive by the end of November.

Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea