[KS] Greeks during the KOrean War

Adam Bohnet abohnet at uwo.ca
Sun Oct 2 21:59:26 EDT 2016

Dear all:

Since the Cold War in Korea is very much on the minds these days of participants in this list-serve, I thought that I might make a vague request for scholarly collaboration on a project that my senior undergraduate student (who will remain nameless in this list, to protect her privacy) is currently pursuing under my direction. The topic, as we have set it, is “Greek participation in the Korean War in the context of the Greek Civil War,” although we can change the precise thrust according to what documents we uncover or fail to uncover. My hope is that my student, who reads modern Greek and French (and of course English) but sadly no Russian or Turkish or Serbian or Korean (but she is still an undergraduate, and has lots of time!),  might be able to explore the explosive left-right conflict in Greece in the run up to the Korean War as the context for the Korean War itself. If that doesn’t work out, we will rework the topic.

The approach that I have been teaching to my poor student is to bury herself into whatever documents she can find and hope for the inspiration of the Holy Ghost. However, as many on the list know, I am not a historian of the twentieth-century, but of the late Choson. If any of the distinguished scholars of the Korean War on this list has ever thought, while reading Soviet or Korean or US or other documents, that “such and such an event or body of documents would be fascinating and informative, if only I could read modern Greek” (or if you do read modern Greek, then “such and such an event and set of documents are truly fascinating, but I don’t have time, and wouldn’t it be nice if a nice up-and-coming scholar would take a look at it”), I would appreciate it very much if you would let me know. Of course, I would be sure to have my student thank you if you did so, and acknowledge your help in any later publications, although my present strong impression is that she would do so without my asking anyway.

Of course, in the end, we will work it out on our own. I beg your forgiveness for this open-ended request.

Sincerely,

Adam Bohnet