[KS] [2017AAS-in-Asia]CALL FOR PROPOSALS

국제한국학센터 icks at korea.ac.kr
Tue Oct 4 03:47:42 EDT 2016

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

On behalf of the Association for Asian Studies (AAS) and the Research Institute of Korean Studies, Korea University in Seoul, Korea, we are pleased to invite colleagues in Asian studies to submit proposals for organized panels and roundtables (no individual paper proposals accepted) to be presented at the fourth AAS-in-ASIA conference to be held June 24-27, 2017 at Korea University, in Seoul, Korea.

The Program Committee for the AAS-in-ASIA conference seeks proposals dealing with all regions of Asia on subjects covering a wide range of scholarly disciplines and professional fields under the theme "Asia in Motion: Beyond Borders and Boundaries." Proposals addressing this theme are encouraged on topics as diverse as political and economic changes, literary and cultural expression, environmental sustainability, media and pop cultural production, food and energy policy, new models for Asian enterprise and business, as well as issues of globalization and urban growth.

Modern borders often define and divide nations, cultures, and traditions. However, both present-day experience and historical records reveal that people and goods have always moved across boundaries. Ideas and material goods, rather than being the exclusive monopoly of one region or nation, have generally been the objects of exchange, competition, and rivalry. Our proposed theme challenges the fixed notions of political boundaries of nations-states, and encourages scholars to reconsider borders as in progress and Asia as in motion. By thinking beyond borders and boundaries we enhance our understanding of how the concept of “Asia” was shaped in the past and is now reshaping the world. The special theme invites scholars to consider the peripheries and what happened beyond the center, either literally or figuratively. Rather than focus on the mainstream, future studies that examine the frontier or the perimeter can enhance our understanding and add depth to our understanding of Asia.

Panels are welcomed from scholars throughout the field of Asian studies, wherever they may be based academically, and are especially encouraged from scholars representing academic communities that are relatively underrepresented in international meetings. One of the goals of this AAS-in-ASIA conference is to foster lines of dialogue and scholarly communication that cross the ordinary (often nation-specific) boundaries of academic networks. Please note: The program committee will strongly favor and give preference to proposals that include participants from two or more countries, whether the panel focuses on a single nation or culture or focuses on some comparative dimension. The program discourages panel proposals from a group of scholars coming from the same institution. Generally speaking, panels with diverse (gender, academic rank, national origin, disciplinary approach) participation will be favored over narrowly constructed panels. Panels that address topics of broad relevance will also be preferred.

The deadline for proposal submissions is October 31, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. EST.

Research Institute of Korean Studies, Korea University

Director, CHO Sungtaek

http://www.asian-studies.org/Conferences/AAS-in-ASIA-Conferences/Seoul-2017home

http://aas-in-asia2017.com/index2016.html