[KS] Korean peninsula stone age cultures

Rusty Kelly russtilaroo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 12:30:19 EDT 2016

Dear Korean Studies listers,

I am a student researching cultural heritage management in Korea.
In my research and readings I have found that there seems to be an
archaeological evidence gap between the paleolithic and neolithic peoples
of the Korean peninsula. I have relied on the works of Nelson (1993) and
Barnes (1993) and more recent archeaological reports, but haven't found
anything referring to an age from about 20-30,000 BP to the neolithic era,
around 10-12,000 BP.
Am I missing something? Is there an actual gap in the archaeology? Were the
paleolithic peninsula people different to the neolithic peninsula people?
The Japanese archaeological record seems to have evidence of a continuous
paleolithic to neolithic transition.
Perhaps there is something obvious to others, or more recent literature
that I haven't found. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Sincerely,
Russell Kelly
Academy of Korean Studies
Bundang, Seongnam-si