[KS] Children, Childhood, Corporal Punishment and Violence/Violent Spaces in Chosŏn?

Marion Eggert marion.eggert at rub.de
Wed Oct 12 02:53:32 EDT 2016

Dear Robert,

The chapter on child education (/tong kyu/) in /Sasojôl /by Yi Tôngmu 李
德懋 (1741-1793) is the foremost Chosôn source on this topic I am aware
of. It contains quite a few passages on corporal punishment
(recommending it as method for stopping the more serious vices).
Literature on this work might prove a good starting point into the
subject. There is a German language M.A. thesis on it (by Xenia Kirgiz),
which will be hard to come by, but certainly you can find a good amount
of Korean language literature on this book.

Good luck with your research
Marion

--
Prof. Dr. Marion Eggert