[KS] Question on Sorok Island

Anja Appel Anja.Appel at kfb.at
Wed Sep 14 05:54:19 EDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

my name is Anja Appel and I am the general secretary of the Catholic Womens Movement of Austria (kfb).

kfb has supported projects in Korea since 1958, especially in health and education. An important project was the fight against leprosy on the island of Sorok. Two Austrian women, Mrs Marianne Stöger and Mrs Margit Pissarek, are by now famous in Korea for their work there. They stand for several other Austrians and Koreans who worked on Sorok Island for many years and built the health infrastructure which is now famous for its research and progress in the fight against leprosy. This project again stands for several others kfb has supported for decades.

I would like to know how you judge the importance and role of foreign aid in general - especially the aid Korea received from Austrian NGOs in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. Did it has any meaning/function with regards to the former Japanese occupation?
We would like to understand the social and political cause of the gratitude we as an organisation and the two women receive from the Koreans and their government.

Thank you very much for your help.
Best regards,

Anja Appel
Dr. Anja Appel
General Sekretary
Catholic Womens Movement of Austria
Spiegelgasse 3/2/7 ∙ 1010 Vienna - Austria

www.kfb.at<http://www.kfb.at/>
www.teilen.at<http://www.teilen.at>