[KS] Re-revised posting "Revoking a Recommendation"

Don Baker ubcdbaker at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 15 11:25:29 EDT 2016

I wouldn’t trust Brian Myers to evaluate someone else’s scholarship. He actually posted on his blog a while back a recommendation to readers to trust a totally concocted “account” of the May 18, 1980, massacre in Kwangju that claimed that the whole incident was caused by North Korean agents who had infiltrated Kwangju before May 18:  Daniel Kim (Kim Taeryŏng) Yŏksarosŏ ŭi 5.18: 5.18 chaep’an pŏmniŭi mosun [Looking at May 18 in historical perspective: Legal contradictions in the trials related to the May 18 incident-  (Seoul: Pibong Books, 2013) Myers went on to assert on his blog that "there is evidence or testimony to back up the claim of DPRK involvement.”   He has now removed that post from his blog, so maybe he realized how ridiculous his assertion was. (The original posting was at http://sthelepress.com/index.php/2016/06/14/recommendation-may-18th-as-history-2013/
Don Baker
Don Baker ProfessorDepartment of Asian Studies University of British Columbia Vancouver, Canada V6T 1Z2 don.baker at ubc.ca