[KS] Re-revised posting "Revoking a Recommendation"

Charles K. Armstrong cra10 at columbia.edu
Sat Sep 17 10:30:22 EDT 2016

Dear list members,

I have observed this criticism of my recent book from some distance and
have finally decided I cannot avoid responding. I will not here go into a
detailed defense of my book, which I continue to stand by as a sound work
of scholarship. But every complex work of scholarship has its flaws, often
not evident to the author at the time. I appreciate the questions brought
up by Brian, Balazs and now Andrei. I would like to point out that most of
the criticism is directed to a small section of Chapter 3 of the book,
basically pp. 121 -23. This has caused me to re-examine carefully that
section and the chapter as a whole, where I have indeed found problems with
some citation of Russian sources. I do not believe this affects the overall
narrative and argument, but I have endeavored to make corrections where
warranted. I am in the process of going carefully over the footnotes, with
the help of Balazs, and see where corrections should be made. If these are
indeed extensive, I will send a revision to Cornell University Press and
ask them to republish the book in a revised edition.

I have learned a great deal from my colleagues in the study of North
Korea's history, particularly Andrei and Balazs, who are much more familiar
with the Soviet sources than I am. I hope to have made a contribution to
this field in my own way, one that complements their fine work. For the
errors in my own work I of course take full responsibility, which includes
the responsibility to correct my errors and improve the work.

Sincerely,

Charles Armstrong

--
Charles K. Armstrong
Professor of History, Columbia University