[KS] Correcting the Record

don kirk kirkdon at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 18:30:35 EDT 2016

Re Professor Baker's commentary on Kwangju, it happens I was in and around Kwangju at the time. There's no misreading or even really conflicting reports as cited by Baker. The citizens did seize arms from the police, turning the city into a fortress, as the author in question has written. I was there. I saw the troops outside the city and, after entering by a back road, saw protesters careening up and down streets on trucks waving weapons and was briefed, harangued, by revolt leaders who had set up hq in the provincial governor's bldg. (They issued me a press card!)The Korean War invasion is hyperbolic and distracting. Chun did unleash soldiers to retake the city -- including special force troops. (Also Chun's KMA classmate Roh Moo-hyun pulled his division from south of the DMZ to Kwangju.) Protesters seized weapons, shots were fired and more than 200 died -- 160 known dead, entombed in a special cemetery, and 75 missing.The real controversy concerns whether North Korean agents were firing up, maybe leading, the demonstrators. I was in Kwangju for the revolt anniversary in May with other journalists who had been there during the revolt as a guest of the local govt -- not an unbiased vantage, admittedly. They went to great lengths to argue that there was no evidence of North Korean involvement. I'm prepared to say, if there were North Korean informants or agents there, as everywhere, they were not visible and the revolt was basically home grown, locally led. Re Jeju, where I've also spent considerable time, I hadn't heard anything about 6,000 members of the South Korean Labor Party sent to instigate an uprising. Nor had I heard of "not over six" sent from the mainland. The 6,000 figure cannot be right, but I wonder what source was misread. And, of course, after all this, it would be nice to know what book or author Baker is referring to.Donald Kirk